Visa and Residence Permit

  • Most internationals from countries outside the European Union / European Economic Area will need a visa to enter Switzerland for study purposes.
  • It is very important that you check the immigration requirements in good time. It usually takes around 3 months from submitting the application to the visa.
  • In case you need a visa, you must apply for it at the Swiss Embassy or Consulate General nearest to your place of residence.
  • After arriving in Switzerland, all students are required to register at the local residents' registration office ("Kreisbüro") in their neighborhood of residence. Students living outside the city of Zürich report to the registration office of their local authorities.
  • You will need a valid passport, two passport-size photographs, confirmation of matriculation from the University of Zurich and a visa if required.
  • A residence permit and a foreigner's identity card will be issued four to six weeks after registration.


Health Insurance

  • For anyone staying in Switzerland longer than three months, health insurance is compulsory.
  • Students from an EU state who are legally insured in their home country can apply for exemption from this obligation by using the European Health Card or a provisional certificate issued by the health insurance company in their home country.
  • After your arrival in Switzerland you will be contacted by the health services department of your place of residence. Should you not be contacted, please ask your local authorities about the procedure.
  • If you do not have a provisional certificate or an insurance card, but other proof of health insurance corresponding to Swiss requirements, an exemption from obligatory insurance may be possible. If not, a policy for basic insurance must be taken out at one of the numerous Swiss health insurance companies.
  • Travel insurance taken out in your home country will not be accepted.

Private Liability Insurance

  • This insurance covers damage inflicted by you to other persons.
  • A private liability insurance costs from CHF 100 to CHF 150 per year with a limit of indemnity of up to CHF 5 million.
  • Although private liability insurance is not compulsory, we suggest all international students to contract such insurance.