We encourage you to plan the completion of your degree in advance, taking into consideration the published degree deadlines.
Please be aware that your Master's thesis has to be handed in 2 months before the degree conferral date.
Please note that in order to register for graduation
- you do not have to have already held your Master's Thesis presentation, but at least the date of your presentation has been fixed and is within 3 weeks of the registration.
- you do not have to wait for your Master's thesis grade.
There are two different procedures for the Master's Thesis (depending on the supervising professor)
- Master's Thesis Process - Dean's office
- Master's Thesis Process - OLAT (only UZH supervisors, not possible for ETH supervisors).
The following steps have to be followed for your Master's thesis:
Step 1 - Topic and Supervisor
Think on a quantitative finance-related topic you are interested in and on a supervisor. Make sure that you are already familiar with the subject area through lectures, seminars or your own reading.
Send your final application by email to the relevant contact person (UZH: see DBF supervisors for guidance or ETH: Dep Math supervisors) and explain why you want to choose this specific topic for your thesis.
Chairs may set additional requirements and have the option to reject a student's proposal or the supervising of the thesis.
In case of several rejections please contact the Program Director.
Your supervisor will tell you if the following procedure will be either via the Dean's office or via OLAT.
Step 2 - Formalities
Master's Thesis Process - Dean's office
Once you have a commitment from a supervisor, your supervisor will send the project definition to the Dean's Office of the Faculty of Business, Economics and Informatics of the University of Zurich, subsequently called "Dean's Office". Please be aware that the written project definition is issued exclusively by the Dean's Office!
Request your project definition by email to firstname.lastname@example.org (please only use your uzh-email address for this purpose) and attach the following documents:
- Proof of matriculation (e.g. student ID card).
- Proof of admission to the Master's program (Admission letter).
- Completed registration form.
The completion period begins with the personal delivery of your project definition by the Dean's office via email and lasts 6 months. The exact deadline is explicity mentioned in the email.
Master's Thesis Process - OLAT
Your supervisor will upload the definitive topic into OLAT and will invite you to the OLAT course. Once you have joined the course you must select the topic within one day. Then the 6 months’ completion period begins in the personal workflow.
Step 3 - Submission of the Thesis
The Master's thesis has to be finished within 6 months, no later than the communicated submission deadline! The period of completion starts on the day you collect your Master's thesis project either with the Dean's Office's email or in OLAT.
Master's Thesis Process - Dean's Office
The Master's thesis has to be submitted as a PDF at the latest on the last day of the deadline (23:59) by email to email@example.com
Master's Thesis Process - OLAT
The student submits the final thesis by uploading the PDF directly in OLAT, no later than the communicated submission deadline.
Theses submitted late are considered to have been failed!
Extension of Deadline
If a student becomes partially or entirely unable to work after starting his/her Master's thesis, or if other reasons beyond the student's control prevent him/her from submitting the thesis on time, the student has to submit a written petition to the Dean's Office before the deadline. petitions
The examination delegate (= Program Director) will then decide
- whether to extend the deadline - an extension up to two weeks is possible (with doctor's attestation); or
- cancel the thesis. Master's theses canceled with approval are considered not to have been started.
In case of a failed thesis you have one possibility to do it again.
Step 4 - Oral Presentation
You will have to make a 30 minutes presentation of your thesis within 4 weeks after the submission of the Master's thesis.
Please proceed as follows:
- First arrange a date and time for the presentation with your supervisor.
- Inform the Managing Assistant of the program (msfinance[at]bf.uzh.ch) at least two weeks prior
- about the exact date and time. Attention: in times of Corona the presentation will take place via Zoom. In that case please include the Zoom Meeting Information in your email.
- send a PDF of the Master's thesis and a PDF of the abstract of the thesis.
- The Managing Assistant will organize a room at UZH or ETH (if no Zoom) and make the public announcement by email and on www.msfinance.ch.
After the presentation the supervisor will communicate the final grade in written form.