First Joint Degree Program of UZH and ETH at Master Level
The Master of Science in Quantitative Finance
- is a cooperation of the University of Zurich, represented by the Department of Banking and Finance within the Faculty of Business, Economics and Informatics
- and the ETH Zurich, represented by the Department of Mathematics.
- The Master of Science UZH ETH in Quantitative Finance offers its prospective students an advanced education in quantitative finance.
- Its curriculum consists of a combination of economic theory for finance with mathematical methods (probability theory, statistics, numerical analysis) for finance.
- The program is a specialized Master of Science according to the Bologna rules.
- The program is entirely taught in English so that international as well as Swiss participants can attend.
- There is no need to know German to participate in the program.
- The expected period of study is three semesters: 1 academic year of courses followed by the completion of a Master thesis.
- The students have to achieve 90 ECTS credit points in order to receive the degree MSc UZH ETH in Quantitative Finance.
- The program starts in September and the courses end in June of the following year.
- It is expected that the Master thesis will be written and approved no later than until the end of the following December.
- The program can be effected on a part time basis, as the gained ECTS credit points remain valid for a period of 5 (five) years.
We strongly encourage cooperation and exchange programs with other highly reputable international universities offering similar programs.
Target Participants and Expected Prerequisite Knowledge
- The MSc UZH ETH in Quantitative Finance is a specialized master program. It is not a consecutive master program or the continuation of a particular Bachelor program.
- We welcome the application of graduates with (at least) a Bachelor degree (or equivalent) having a finance, economics and/or science background (mathematics, physics, engineering).
- Especially practitioners with a corresponding academic qualification who feel that they need additional and more specialized training in quantitative finance are invited to apply for admission.
Enrollment and Costs
Accepted applicants will be enrolled as students at the Faculty of Business, Economics and Informatics of the University of Zurich.
- The tuition fee for the program is about CHF 770 per semester (half year) plus a supplementary charge of CHF 100 for international students.
- For technical reasons students will receive a unique enrollment (at UZH) but will benefit of all computer facilities of the ETH. An application fee might be raised.