Scientific Phase (1)
- We will only accept online applications.
- The full application has to be in English.
- The application will only be processed if the application fee of CHF 200.- is paid (credit card payment).
- The application fee will not be refunded.
- We will not have any correspondence about the receipt of the application fee with any candidate, except we have received the application, but no payment. In that case we will contact you about the irregularity. As long as you are not contacted, we have received the amount due.
- We will neither add documents sent to us after you have submitted your online application, nor replace documents of your online application - even within the deadline. So please send your application only when it is fully complete.The only exceptions are the recommendation letters which will be sent to us directly by your referees.
- The certificates and the letters of recommendation can be in English, German or French. If the certificates are in another language, please include an official translation and explain the grading system.
- In case you want to add GMAT or GRE results please upload them in the voluntary documents. We do not have a GMAT/GRE code for the program. Please make sure that there is NO password security!
- Please only upload abstracts/summaries of papers in the voluntary documents, no full papers. In your abstract you can indicate a link to the whole paper.
Step 1. Make sure two individuals are ready to support your application by providing a letter of recommendation
Two letters of recommendation are required. They should
- be written by former employers, current employers or lecturers. Not accepted are recommendation letters written by fellow students, friends, family members etc.!
- be signed and written using an official letterhead showing the affiliation of the writer.
- address the following points: the overall appreciation of the candidate, motivation, maturity and judgement, analytical ability, initiative and creativity, ability for research, oral and writing skills.
In case your referee does not upload the recommendation letter within 2 weeks we will send him/her a reminder. At the same time you will get an email informing you that your referee has received a reminder. It might then be good to contact your referee to check. The deadline for the recommendation letters is 31 January 2020.
Please understand that we cannot inform you about the arrival of the recommendation letters.
Step 2. Prepare your application documents
Please note that only complete applications will be considered.
All documents and information listed below are mandatory and need to be uploaded via application form in pdf format. Please make sure that all pdf documents you send us will allow consolidation (properties of file, no password security!).
All your documents will be consolidated into one file after the deadline for the evaluation of your application by the Steering Committee.
- A letter of motivation named "SurnameGivenname_LetterMotiv.pdf".
- A curriculum vitae (including the email address, postal address and a telephone number where you can be reached) named "SurnameGivenname_CV.pdf".
- Copies of your academic degree(s). If you expect to receive your Bachelor degree only after the deadline but before 30 September 2020, please state this explicitly in your application.
- "SurnameGivenname_Bachelor.pdf" (if you will submit a copy of your Bachelor degree); or
- "SurnameGivenname_Master.pdf" (if you will submit a copy of your Master degree); or
- "SurnameGivenname_PhD.pdf" (if you will submit a copy of your PhD degree).
- Copies of your official grades on Bachelor and/or on Master level if applicable named If you expect to receive your Bachelor degree only after the deadline but before 30 September 2020, a copy of the up-to-now grades named "SurnameGivenname_GradesBachelor_temp.pdf" needs to be submitted.
- "SurnameGivenname_GradesBachelor.pdf" (if you will submit a copy of your grades in the Bachelor study); or
- "SurnameGivenname_GradesMaster.pdf" (if you will submit a copy of your grades in the Master study).
- Two recommendation letters in pdf format are mandatory as well. In the application form you will be asked to enter the two contacts of the person who will write the recommendation letter for you. They will get a link to upload the recommendation letter. Please make sure that the email addresses are correct.
- On a voluntary basis, you can submit up to three additional documents to support your application. Examples: GRE or GMAT test (without password security!!), letters from previous employers, abstracts of papers/theses. Please do not send your English certificate here, it will be due only in phase 2.
Should you have any problems uploading a PDF document please try the following:
- Try to update your browser or use a different browser
- If only a specific PDF cannot be uploaded, we recommend compressing the PDF file (without having to change its size) with a program like pdf24.
Step 3. Apply formally and pay the application fee (credit card payment).
Online Application offline
The application period for the program starting in September 2019 is closed. The deadline was 15 January 2019. No applications will be accepted after this deadline.
The application program is structured in 4 parts:
- Personal data
- Upload of documents
- Check of the completed application, followed by submission of your application data to UZH
- Payment by credit card. Please have your credit card ready. (Mastercard, Visa or Posffinance)
If you do not have a credit card or a PostFinance card: instead of a normal credit card you can use a prepaid card to pay the application fee online and submit your application. Youth banking packages and student bank accounts usually offer the possibility of getting a prepaid card. These cards are either free or very cheap.
For any further information related to the application process, Step 1 to Step 3 (phase 1), please contact msfinance[at]bf.uzh.ch.
Administrative Phase (2)
Only for candidates accepted in phase 1.
Step 4. Submission of authorized copies to the Admissions Office.
The Admissions Office of the University of Zurich will contact you, after you have been accepted provisionally by the Steering Committee, and inform you via e-mail about how to apply for admission. The English certificate will be asked for in this phase.
For any information related to the application process Step 5 (phase 2), please contactt.uzh.ch/admission.