- The Steering Committee takes the first decision on provisional admission, or rejection, of the candidate.
- Admission is very competitive.
- There is no entitlement for admission.
- Candidates enrolled in a different Master's program at UZH or ETH cannot transfer without restrictions to the MSc UZH ETH in Quantitative Finance. They have to apply under the same admission guidelines and deadlines.
- Special note for candidates enrolled in a different Master's program at the Faculty of Business, Economics and Informatics: all failed attempts at Master's modules from the Faculty of Business, Economics and Informatics will count even after a successful transfer to the MSc UZH ETH in Quantitative Finance. Credits earned up to that date can be transferred to the areas indicated in the course catalogue for each module.
In February (year of the study start), the Steering Committee will review all the applications.
In early March each applicant will be informed about the outcome of her/his application via email.
There are three possible outcomes:
|Timeline||1. Directly Accepted||2. Interview Required||3. Not Accepted|
|Early March||Based on an exceptional dossier the candidate is accepted to join the program without any further examinations and interviews.||For candidates who were neither directly accepted nor directly rejected, an interview will be required. He/she is asked to prove his/her prerequisite knowledge in finance and mathematics. Follow this link to see the required background material.||No further information will be given about the reasons leading to the final decision. There is however a right to appeal against the decision.|
|During March (starting about mid March)||
Interviews will very likely be conducted via Zoom again in 2023.
The candidates will be informed about the outcome via email at the end of March.
|April||Accepted applicants will receive details from the Admission Office of the University of Zurich regarding the official enrollment and about the existing deadlines to secure their place of study. Authorized copies of the documents (diploma, grades, certificate of knowledge of the English language) need to be submitted.|
I was not admitted, why?
Many applicants, most of whom are well qualified, would like to get an explanation why they were not admitted.
With the ultimate aim of welcoming excellent candidates, the selection procedure is carefully designed to offer a fair and balanced judgement of each candidate. The selection is based on initially independent opinions of the Members of the Selection Committee, followed by opinions of Alumni of the program and a final meeting where all intermediate feedbacks are aggregated and the decision is taken.
Our policy is not to get back and review applications again. We do not justify the denial nor will we offer advice on improving a future application. In many cases the only answer is that we only offer admission to the best qualified applicants given the desired size of our program. We intentionally keep the program small and selective.
You however have the right to appeal against the Selection Committee's decision.